About

[vc_row bg_type=”” dima_canvas_style=”” translate_x=”0″ dima_z_index=”0″ animate_item=”” delay_duration=”” delay_offset=”” id=”” class=”” css=”.vc_custom_1562580476827{padding-top: 40px !important;padding-right: 50px !important;padding-bottom: 40px !important;padding-left: 50px !important;}” border_color=”” tutorials=””][vc_column bg_type=”” dima_canvas_style=”” min_height=”” translate_x=”0″ dima_z_index=”0″ delay=”” delay_duration=”” delay_offset=”” width=”1/1″][text delay=”” delay_duration=”” delay_offset=”” id=”” class=””]Pope Pius IX solemnly defined the dogma of the Immaculate Conception on 08.12.1854. In 1858 Our Lady appeared to Bernadette Soubirous at Lourdes and gave here name as ‘The Immaculate Conception’.

The golden jubilee of the definition was celebrated throughout the world in 1904. The Archdiocese of Calcutta decided to build a Church in Ranchi as a memorial of the golden jubilee in honour of the Immaculate Conception.

Fr. Sylvain Grosjean, S.J. who was then the Rector of Manresa House Ranchi, got plans made on the model of a Church in Arlon Belgium. Br. Alfred Lemoine, S.J. was put in charge of the building work. Archbishop Brice Meuleman S.J. laid the foundation stone on 20.05.1906. It took more than three years to complete the Church. On 03.10.1909 the solemn blessing was performed, in the absence of Archbishop Meuleman, by Mgr. urth, Bishop of Dhaka.

On 25.05.1927 the Diocese of Ranchi was created with St. Mary’s as the Cathedral. Bishop Louis Van Hoeck, S.J. took possession of it on 30.06.1928.

Sixty years later, 1988, saw the beginning of major repairs, renovations and beautification. On 07.11.1993, centenary of the death of Father C. Lievens, his Sacred Mortal Remains were deposited in the Ranchi Cathedral.[/text][/vc_column][/vc_row]